Due to the difficulties of COVID-19, Texas PTA has approved a one-time extension of the term of office by one year in the same position with membership approval. Local PTAs were notified via email on January 26, 2020. Allen Council of PTAs has developed resources to assist our local PTAs as they make decisions for their PTA based on the new guidance from Texas PTA as listed below:
From Texas PTA:
Extension of Term of Office
First, the president must confirm which executive board* members are willing to extend their 2020-2021 term of office by one year in the same position following the guidelines below.
- This shall be recorded in the official executive board meeting minutes, as “For the record, please state your name and position if you are willing to continue serving in the same position on executive board through fiscal year ending 2022.”
- If less than a majority is willing to return in the same position, the nominating committee and elections shall continue per the PTA bylaws.
- If a majority of the executive board* is willing to return in the same position, the executive board must vote by majority to put the recommendation before the membership.
- If the executive board approves the recommendation, the matter must be approved by a majority at a membership meeting.
- After approval by the membership, the position of any person who does not desire to continue will be considered vacant and filled according to the bylaws.
- If the nominating committee has already been elected by membership, the executive board may allow the process to continue as outlined by the bylaws or may choose to follow the guidelines listed herein. In this case, a motion to dissolve the elected nominating committee must be approved at the same meeting where the membership approves the current executive board to continue through fiscal year ending 2022.
Second, the membership must approve the extension of the executive board’s term by a majority vote.
- Meeting notice must follow the bylaws (if in person) or COVID-19 guidelines (if virtual).
- A notification of the vote must be posted a minimum of three days in advance. Sample notification of vote: "Due to the difficulties of COVID-19, Texas PTA has approved a one-time extension of the term of office by one year in the same position with membership approval. This item will be discussed and voted on at the meeting on [insert date, time, location]."
- The president will explain the option provided by Texas PTA and accept a motion. By recommendation of the executive board, I move to extend the term for the executive board members in their current positions through fiscal year ending 2022, and (if applicable) dissolve the nominating committee.
- If not approved by membership, the nominating committee and elections shall continue per the PTA bylaws.
- If approved by membership, all consenting executive board members would continue in their roles through fiscal year ending 2022.
- Executive board composition is defined in the PTA bylaws.
- Majority is defined as more than half.
- The [*] provision is exclusively for the elections of 2021-2022 fiscal year. This provision will not pertain to future elections, membership, any financial processes, requirements, or any other than these elections.
Leaders who are serving their second term in the same position may continue into a third term only for the fiscal year of 2021-2022, regardless of whether extending the term by membership approval or through the election process listed in the bylaws. Those serving their first term in 2020-2021 will not be allowed to serve a third term in the same position in 2022-2023.
The samples listed below may be downloaded for use in developing your meeting notifications, scripts and minutes.
- Nominations & Elections Roundtable Recording
- Extension of Office Powerpoint
- Extension of Office FAQ
- Minutes - Special Executive Board Meeting
- Minutes - Executive Board Meeting (1)
- Minutes - Executive Board Meeting (2)
- Scripts - Membership Meeting
- Scripts - Executive Board Meeting
If you have further questions or would like an Allen Council of PTAs board member to assist with questions during your meeting, please contact:
Rachel Mitchell, firstname.lastname@example.org
Terri Piorkowski, email@example.com